2011-09-28

Carlos Tevez finished


Roberto Mancini has declared Carlos Tevez is "finished" at Manchester City after an incredible night of controversy in which the Argentinian refused to come on as a second-half substitute in the 2-0 defeat by Bayern Munich. Mancini will hold emergency talks with City's owners from the Abu Dhabi United Group on Thursday and the manager made it clear he wants them to agree that the striker never plays for the club again.

Asked if he will ever pick Tevez again, he replied: "No. If we want to improve like a team, like a squad, Carlos cannot play with us. With me, no – it is finished. It may not be my decision but if I'm deciding then, yes, he goes. For me, if a player earns a lot of money playing for Manchester City in the Champions League and he behaves like this – he cannot play again. Never. He has wanted to leave for the last two years. For two years I have helped him, and now he has refused to play. Never again."

City were so concerned about the prospect of angry supporter reaction to Tevez that they made the extraordinary move of asking for extra security to greet the team on arrival at Manchester airport in the early hours of the morning. Before leaving Munich Tevez had emerged from the City dressing room and made it clear he wanted to offer his version of events, denying that he had done anything wrong. "I didn't feel right to play, so I didn't," he said. Informed that Mancini had said he would never wear City's colours again, he replied: "I was top goalscorer here last season, I always act professionally so it is up to him."

Mancini, however, was adamant. "This can never happen at a top club that one player can refuse to help his team-mates in an important match like tonight. In the next day I'm sure I will speak with Khaldoon [al-Mubarak] because he is the chairman and he will decide everything but let me ask a question: Do you think at Bayern Munich a player would ever behave like this. At Milan? At Manchester United? No. That is the answer. It is the same for everyone."

Inga kommentarer: