2009-03-26

1859 års kristna om Darwin


En gängse uppfattning är att det inte går förena tro med vetande. Fel, fel, fel. Darwin hade knappt publicerat sin bok om "Arternas Uppkomst" förrän han fick brev från en präst, Charles Kingsley. Hans argument används än idag. Så här skrev Kingsley:

1)I have long since, from watching the crossing of domesticated animals & plants, learnt to disbelieve the dogma of the permanence of species. 2) I have gradually learnt to see that it is just as noble a conception of Deity, to believe that he created primal forms capable of self development into all forms needful pro tempore & pro loco, as to believe that He required a fresh act of inter-vention to supply the lacunas wh. he himself had made. I question whether the former be not the loftier thought.

Det centrala är Gud skapat "forms capable of selfdevelopment". Idag används samma argument av t ex den katolske astronomen George Coyne, här i samtal med Richard Dawkins. Paradoxalt nog verkar inte Dawkins veta att Coyne använder ett klassiskt kristet agument.

Om tro och vetande skrev Darwin i ett brev till John Fordyce: ... It seems to me absurd to doubt that a man may be an ardent Theist & an evolutionist ... I think that generally (& more and more so as I grow older) but not always, that an agnostic would be the most correct description of my state of mind".

Inga kommentarer: